For my Christmas family dinner, I have always purchased a cheesecake from our local bakery for dessert. So for this year, I decided I am making cookies for our after dinner treat. Taking off work for the whole week I plan the menu and food shopping for this special time of year. I love having the whole family here, my daughters, spouses, and of course the almost grown grandchildren helping and having fun.
Choosing three different cookies was a hard choice, but these tender cream cheese spritz cookies made the list. Spritz cookies are the perfect bite-size for everyone. I hope you will enjoy them as much as my family did.
These are just fun and easy cookies to make and very kid friendly.
Adapted from Dinner at the Zoo
Tender Cream Cheese Spritz CookiesBarbara Hall
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour 320 g
- 1 cup Butter unsalted 2 sticks
- 3 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup Sugar white 201 g
- 1 Egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Holiday sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line cookies pans with parchment paper. In a stand or hand-held mixer, add the butter, cream cheese, and sugar to the bowl. I start on low speed till incorporated then turn up the mixer to 4 or 6 speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and blend into the mixture. Turn down the speed and add the flour slowly and mix till all the flour is incorporated. Scrape down the sides if needed so that all the flour is mixed in.
- Add the dough to a cookie press and pick whichever shape or shapes you like, be creative these are your cookies. If you are doing more than 1 shape you might want to keep the same shape per cookie pan so they bake evenly. Different shapes may have slightly different cooking time.
- Spritz the cookies about an inch apart on the parchment paper and sprinkle your favorite color sprinkles onto the cookies. Bake for 9-11 minutes, mine were spot on for 10 minutes so adjust accordingly. Pull from oven and move to a cooling rack.