Honestly, I have never made lemon curd. But when looking for a recipe to use for my cookies, I had one requirement "LEMON." No wimpy lemon curd for me I wanted in your face punch of color and that fantastic perfect lemon taste. I went on a lemon curd recipe search, and I found one that I adore. The orginal recipe is from the website Allrecipes.com Perfect Lemon Curd Recipe but I did make a change.
This Lemon Curd I made for the meringue cookies I wanted to use it more and more so I thought it deserved to have its own place that I could refer back to for other recipes.
I purchased a mason jar, and it was just the right size for displaying my lemon curd. Making the lemon curd and putting it into a decorative glass jar makes an ideal gift. It just screams summer!
Lemon Curd RecipeBarbara Hall
- ¾ cup (183 g) Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) Lemon zest
- ¾ cup (150 g) Sugar white
- ⅓ cup (75.67 g) Butter unsalted cubed
- 3 (3) Eggs room temperature
- Add the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter into a 2-quart saucepan. Start to heat over low heat. I took the eggs and whisked them in a bowl, and added them to the pan. You want all the ingredients to come to the same temperature simultaneously, or you will end up with scrambled eggs. So I stirred almost the whole time. Please don't confuse the zest for cooked eggs; as long as you gradually bring the temperature up, it will be fine.
- I turned the heat up just a little, and it still took about 10 minutes for it to start to thicken. If you see any egg that may have started to cook in the curd, use a strainer to make it silky smooth. After you take it off the heat or strain the curd, let it cool before putting it into a glass jar. I used plastic wrap and laid it right on top of the curd; this helps the curd not form a crust. Then put it into the refrigerator to cool completely. My jar is a small mason jar which I replaced the plastic wrap with the jar lid. Keep refrigerated.
I am not a certified Dietitian or Nutritionist. The nutrition amounts given below are provided through a program and are only a guideline.