I have a co-worker who loves peanut butter and chocolate together and has a birthday coming up at the end of the month. I am her birthday buddy which means I need to make a treat for the whole staff but it has to be the birthday person's favorite food combination.
She has moved up in the world and recently obtained a great new position at a new company so I am making these for her as an early birthday present before she leaves. I hope she likes them....and so sad to see her go.
Adapted from Cookies and Cups
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate CookiesBarbara Hall
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- ¾ cup Peanut butter
- ¾ cup Powered sugar 112 g
- ½ cup Butter-room temperature 1 stick
- ¼ cup Peanut butter
- 1 cup Light brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Cocoa power 50 g
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt 3 g
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda 2 g
- 1 ½ cup All-purpose flour 180 g
- A pinch on top Sugar
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- Add powdered sugar and the peanut butter into a bowl and mix till smooth on medium speed for a couple of minutes (I use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment). I have a smaller sheet pan that will fit into my freezer so I line it with parchment paper and make 1" balls of the peanut butter filling and place the peanut butter balls into the freezer. (I am making a double batch that is why I have so many peanut butter balls)
- Turn oven on to 350° so it has time to preheat.
CHOCOLATE COOKIE MIX
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment mix the room temperature butter, light brown sugar, and peanut butter together on medium speed (my Kitchen Aid I did setting 6) till light and creamy about 2 minutes. I stopped the mixer and scraped down the sides. Then, I added the vanilla extract and egg + egg yolk till mixed. I dropped the speed down and slowly added the cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda then returned the speed to medium for a minute till smooth.
- Drop the speed back down to low and slowly add the flour and mix till combined.
- Take the peanut butter balls out of the freezer. I used a medium cookie scoop and scooped out a leveled amount of the cookie dough and flattened it in my hand so it was big enough to wrap around 1 of the peanut butter balls. Place on a cookie sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper. They do not spread much but leave about 1 ½ " between the cookies.
- I took a drinking glass bottom and evenly pressed down slightly to flattened it a little so they are not a ball. I took a pinch of the sugar and sprinkled it on top just before putting into the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes and leave on the pan for a minute after getting out of the oven before moving to a cooling rack.