Chocolate with Raspberry were the ingredients that a stressed-out co-worker wanted that would mellow her out. LOL Yeah like that was going to work! But I do like both of these flavors, and I thought it would make a good combination.
Raspberries have many benefits. They're packed with fiber, zinc, vitamin C, and many others, so please read the article about the benefits. Although I am using raspberry jam in this recipe, it still has some advantages. I have always enjoyed eating raspberries right off the bush, but that was many moons ago.
I added almond extract but be careful with the amount it is a potent extract and can overpower the taste of the raspberry jam. If you have a nut allergy, please read this article. I am adding the category of nuts so please be aware that almond extract does indeed contain pieces from the almond pit to make the extract.
Chocolate with Raspberry Jam CookiesBarbara Hall
- 2 ⅓ cup All-purpose flour 280 g
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder 42 g
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Butter unsalted 2 sticks
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Light brown sugar 213 g
- 1 cup Sugar white 198 g
- ¼ teaspoon Almond extract
- 1 cup Preserves raspberry
- Powdered sugar Dusting on top
- Weigh or measure the flour, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk to blend. In another bowl, weigh or measure the white and light brown sugar and set aside. In a stand or hand-held mixer combine the butter and cream cheese till thoroughly incorporated. Add the almond extract and the sugars and mix on medium speed for at least 3 minutes. It takes a little while to get the sugars mixed into the butter and cream cheese.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixer. Don't dump or the cocoa powder will go everywhere. Lightly cover and put into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. You want the butter very cold.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 cookie pans with parchment paper, so they are ready. I am using a small cookie scoop for ball size, then roll the dough into a ball. Take your thumb and press down in the middle. Don't go too far down or the jam will leak out the bottom during baking. Taking a ¼ teaspoon spoon and fill each hole with the raspberry preserves.
- I put the cookie pan with the ready to bake cookies into the freezer for 10 minutes before baking. The dough gets warm from your hands when you were forming the balls — Bake for 12-14 minutes. After taking the baked cookies out of the oven, leave them on the cookie pan for a minute or two before moving to a cooling rack. After they have cooled completely, I dust the tops of the cookies with powdered sugar.