One of my favorite things to do is going down the baker aisles at the grocery stores. It is fun checking out any new ingredients that I can use for my cookies. Last week I came across Nestle Toll House Funfetti. They are vanilla cake-flavored morsels. They have the shape of a chocolate chip, but these are speckled with colors and the taste of a vanilla cake.
I love the taste of vanilla, from milkshakes to cakes and cupcakes. So I decided to make a vanilla cookie and add these morsels for a bang-up vanilla-tasting cookie. The great thing about these cookies is they are easy to make and can be done in 45 minutes or less. Also, this recipe is kid-friendly, and oh so, wanting to help mom or grand-mom make these cookies that they will love to eat right out of the oven.
So if you are looking for a fun time baking with the kids, I hope you will try these cookies. Please let me know how it turned out!
Vanilla Cookies with Vanilla Cake MorselsBarbara Hall
- ½ cup room temperature Butter unsalted
- 4 oz room temperature Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Sugar white 198 g
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 2-¾ cups All-purpose flour 330 g
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Vanilla cake morsels
- Weigh or measure the sugar into a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, weigh or measure the flour, baking powder, salt and run a whisk through to blend.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, add the butter and cream cheese blending on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides before adding the sugar. Mix on medium speed till it is smooth in texture and not chalky looking. Scrape down the sides, then add the vanilla extract and the egg, blend till incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture till all the flour has been incorporated. Scrape down the sides and the mixer for 20 seconds, then add the Vanilla Cake Morsels. I put the mixer bowl with the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes just to let the butter stiffen up just a bit.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C or 180°C), and line 2 cookie sheet pans with parchment paper. I used a medium cookie scoop to add 12 scoops of cookie dough to each pan. This recipe makes 24 cookies, so 2 pans will do it. I add 2 or 3 vanilla cake morsels to the top of each cookie just so you see the morsels, but this is optional. If you add the morsels to the top, lay the morsels on their sides; if the top peaks stand up, they tend to brown. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave on the cookie sheet pan for 1 minute after taking the pan out of the oven before moving the cookies to a cooling rack. The kids will love the colorful morsels and the chance to help with this quick and easy cookie recipe!
I am not a certified Dietitian or Nutritionist. The nutrition amounts given below are provided through a program and are only a guideline.