This shortbread cookie is not the mix; roll into logs, chill, slice, and bake. I put the cookie dough into a pastry bag and piped out the dough for these cookies.
Shortbread cookies can be a little bland but dress them up with some jam, and you have a winner. This Christmas, I am making these for my family; I am sure they will be gone quickly.
Adapted from I Food Blogger
Shortbread Cookies with JamBarbara Hall
- 200 g Unsalted butter softened
- 80 g Powdered sugar
- 2 Egg white
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 320 g All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Thick jam
- Preheat oven to 425° so it has time to heat up. In a mixer (hand or stand) blend powdered sugar and softened butter till well mixed.
- I stopped the mixer and scrapped down the sides then added the egg whites, salt, vanilla extract and mix them till well blended. Slowly add the flour and mix well.
- Line cookie pans with parchment paper and set aside. If your cookie dough is really stiff I moved my dough to a microwave safe dish and heat for 10 seconds. If it is still really stiff heat for another 10 seconds longer. You want the dough to be pliable enough to go into a pastry bag and be able to squeeze out the dough through a large open star tip.
- Pipe out 12 to a pan and make the cookies about 2 inches in diameter. Next, I take a spatula end and press a small indent into the middle of each cookie. Take a small amount of jam and fill in the indent.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or just until the sides are just slightly turning golden brown. Move to a cooling rack right away.