Yesterday I was staring in my kitchen and finding myself reflecting on the year 2020. It was January 1st, 2021, and trying to think about how I was feeling. This year has had its challenges, but how I feel today will reflect on the cookies I will make for today. So with that in mind, I wanted something colorful and uplifting. I found a container at the store with mini M&M's (these are similar, but I used Stauffer's here in Lancaster County, PA) and in all of the colors. Plus, I wanted a light-colored cookie to show off the colors.
I added a little light brown sugar for taste and a little Maine pure maple syrup that goes very well with chocolate. Now all I had to do was put all of these pieces together. With so many challenges in 2020, I wanted to be bright and uplifting for the coming new year. I hope we all find some relief from an extraordinary year.
Happy New Year 2021 CookiesBarbara Hall
- 1 cup Butter unsalted 2 sticks room temperature
- 1-½ cup Sugar white 247 g
- ¼ cup Light brown sugar 53 g
- 1 tablespoon Pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2-¼ cups All purpose flour 270 g
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 cup Mini M&M's
- Weigh or measure the white and light brown sugar into a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, weigh or measure the flour, salt, baking powder, running a whisk through to blend. Measure out a cup of mini M&M's.
- In a stand or hand-held mixer, cream the butter till it is light in color. Add the white and light brown sugars and mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, so the sugars are incorporated into the butter. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and across the bottom. Add the vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste, and maple syrup. Mix till all is blended through. Add one egg at a time letting the first egg mix through before adding the 2nd egg. I always crack the egg into a small bowl before adding to the batter. I have the bad luck of a piece of eggshell ending up in my batter if I break the egg against the mixing bowl. Turn the mixer down and slowly add the flour mixture till the flour is incorporated. Stop and scrape down the sides and across the bottom before adding the mini M&M's. Mix the M&M's through then cover loosely and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line 2 cookie sheet pans with parchment paper. Take the cookie dough out of the refrigerator. Using a medium cookie scoop, I overfilled the scoop and rolled the cookie dough into a ball. These cookies spread so I only did 9 balls to a cookie sheet. You of course can do 12 just know that some of the cookies will probably touch another cookie while baking. I did this the first time around so I learned my lesson, but if you are baking for just your family it is the love you put into your cookie baking not how round and perfect they are. I on the other hand have to take pictures lol. Bake for 10-12 minutes pull them out when the edges start to lightly brown. The tops will be very soft so leave them on the pan for a few minutes after taking them out of the oven. Then move them to a cooling rack to finish. These cookies are slightly chewy and the chocolate M&M's go perfect together. Enjoy!